One of my favorite things to do is buy a bunch of vegetables, wash, chop, and place them each into a separate container and I’m set for the week. Then, when hunger hits, it’s an easy peasy toss in a bowl and I have a ready to eat, nutrient packed, delicious salad!
The base of this salad is kale, which I strip from the stem, wash, dry and then tear up into bite size piece. I leave the kale like this until I’m ready to make my meal, but if you are prepping separate bowls to take to work for lunch, then just go ahead and continue on with the preparation.
Drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice onto the kale and massage with your hands until the leaves become silky soft and slightly wilted.
Next, chop up beets and radishes (or shred if you don’t want it so thick and crunchy – I’m a crunch fan).
The first batch I made, I used whole carrots and shredded them. This round, I went with a bit more convenience and bought shredded carrots. I also add in organic dried cranberries, pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds) and slices of avocado. I’d recommend waiting to slice the avocado until you are ready to eat. If you slice it before hand, it’ll turn brown because of an enzyme in the avocados, which causes the flesh to oxidize when exposed to air.
After you have everything prepped, you are good to go! Delicious, flavor packed, and full of yummy nutrition that will make you feel wonderful! Eat as is, or add your favorite dressing. I made a batch of fresh and zingy carrot ginger dressing specifically for this salad. Enjoy!
Colorful & Nutrient Packed Kale Salad
- Bunch of kale (washed & torn into bite size pieces)
- Radishes (diced/shredded)
- Beets (diced/shredded)
- Carrots (shredded)
- Organic dried cranberries
- Pepitas (roasted)
- Fresh lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Dressing (optional – I made this dressing)
- Prep all of your ingredients (wash, chop, shred) and place into separate bowls (keeping perishables in the refrigerator).
- When you are ready to make your bowl, get out all the ingredients and let’s start putting it together!
- Start off with only kale in the bowl. Drizzle on olive oil and a bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice, then massage the kale with your fingers until the leaves become silky soft and slightly wilted.
- Top the kale with chopped beets, sliced radish, shredded carrots, avocado, dried cranberries and pepitas.
- Additionally, you can add in your favorite dressing, or this carrot ginger dressing, which compliments this salad perfectly!