Halloween is almost here! Time to get spooky and scary and make something fun! 😃🔪 I decided I wanted to make some bloody cupcakes with meat cleavers as decor. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a small tub of white sculpting chocolate and some black gel.
I also used a small wooden fondant/pastry roller and two small sculpting tools (I used 3 ends, both ends of the silver/black one (sharp razor and pointed end), then one end of the wooden one (flat curved edge)).
Start off by tearing two chunks of chocolate out of the tub, then knead the chocolate to soften it, which will make it easier to work with.
Next, dye the chocolate with the colored gel. I started by placing my ball into a small bowl, dripping on the gel, and using a spoon to fold and mix.
This method wasn’t mixing quite as fast and easy as I like, so I ended up picking up the ball and kneading it again in my hands, this worked quite nicely and makes your hands nice and messy. 😉 I repeat this process twice, making solid black and gray.
Next, I flattened the two balls by placing the chocolate on some parchment paper, folding the paper over, then using the wooden roller to flatten it.
I repeated this process with the second ball as well.
Next, I drew my meat cleaver on a small piece of paper so I’d have a guide to work with.
I then placed my drawing on top of the chocolate and used the curved flat end of my sculpting tool to gently press and indent the outline onto my chocolate. I used the gray for the blade.
I then repeated this process on the black, tracing the handle.
Time to cut! I used my small razor to cut into the outline I had pressed into the chocolate. Make sure you use a good blade, this will make things super simple and easy. Also, have a wet paper towel or rag near by to clean off your blade between cuts.
After you cut both pieces out, press them together to make the cleaver come to life!
I added small indentations with the rounded end of my tool for extra detail to make it a little more realistic.
Repeat again and again, making as many as needed.
The first ones I made were a little thin (on left), so I folded over the chocolate to make them thicker (on right).
Now to make the cupcakes for them to go on top of! I am thinking red velvet cake with cream cheese icing (post coming soon… if they turn out good). ☺️🎃 Happy Halloween!!
- Tear two chunks of chocolate from the tub. Knead the chocolate with your hands to soften it (making it easier to work with).
- Next, dye the chocolate with the colored gel. Place the ball of chocolate into a small bowl, drip on the gel, then use a spoon to fold and mix.
- After gel is slightly mixed, pick up with hands and knead to throughly mix the coloring. Repeat this process again, making both black and gray.
- Next, flatten the two balls by placing the chocolate on parchment paper, fold the paper over, then use the wooden roller to flatten them.
- Next, draw a meat cleaver on a small piece of paper so you have a guide to work with.
- Place the drawing on top of the chocolate and use the curved flat end of the sculpting tool to gently press and indent the outline onto the chocolate. I used the gray chocolate for the blade.
- Repeat this process on the black, tracing the handle.
- Time to cut! Use the razor to cut into the outline pressed into the chocolate. Make sure you use a good blade, also, have a wet paper towel or rag near by to clean off your blade between cuts.
- After cutting both pieces out, press them together to make the cleaver come to life!
- Add small indentations with the rounded end of the tool for extra detail to make it more realistic.
- Repeat again and again, making as many as needed!
AMAZON AFFILATE LINK DISCLOSER:
ALEXAS IS A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM. THERE ARE LINKS ON THIS SITE THAT CAN BE DEFINED AS “AFFILIATE LINKS”. THIS MEANS THAT WE MAY RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION (AT NO COST TO YOU) IF YOU SUBSCRIBE OR PURCHASE SOMETHING THROUGH THE LINKS PROVIDED, WHICH ARE SIGNALED WITH *.
THIS AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM HELPS WEBSITE OWNERS LIKE US TO BE ABLE TO SHARE WHAT WE LOVE FREELY, AND EARN ADVERTISING FEES BY ADVERTISING AND LINKING TO AMAZON.COM, AUDIBLE.COM, AND ANY OTHER WEBSITE THAT MAY BE AFFILIATED WITH AMAZON SERVICE LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM.