I use to buy store bought granola, but I got tired of all the added sugar, so I decided to make a healthier version at home. Plus, without all the preservatives, you get cleaner, way tastier granola. Once you realize how much better it tastes (and the fact that you can control how sweet you make it) you’ll never go back to store bought again (unless you’re on a road trip and craving granola… mmm, the sugary treat is nice).
The combinations are endless, so you can make it with all your favorite ingredients. Start off with a good base of oats, add seeds/dried fruit, spices and vanilla, then your binding agents, which can be anything from sweet maple syrup, to my favorite, a combination of brown rice syrup and extra-virgin olive oil.
Listed below is my favorite combination, but feel free to add more/less, as well as additional ingredients, until you get your perfect combination! I usually buy all my base ingredients in bulk off Amazon (see attachment links for more details on each individual ingredient).
To get started, gather up your star ingredients, which should be some combination of oats, nuts or seeds, and dried fruit. I use both rolled and steel cut oats for the base. Then, for the seeds, I tend to stick with pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and sometimes flax seeds, if I have them on hand. For my dried fruit, I use unsweetened shredded coconut.
Get your spices out as well, and start off my mixing together all of your dry ingredients. It always reminds me of sand art when I layer the ingredients. 🙃
Then, make a well in your mixture to add the liquids on top. Fold inwards to mix the dry and wet together. This will take a bit of stirring to get everything evenly combined, but you definitely want it thoroughly mixed.
Next, lay out half of your mixture (this recipe will make 2 batches, so cut in half if only wanting to make one) on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet, making sure the spread out mixture evenly.
Then bake in oven at 325F for 10-15 minutes (depending on toasted preference). Take out and flip over, then place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
Let cool completely before placing in an air tight container. However, you do want to break apart a few minutes after you take it out of the oven, unless you want big chunks sticking together. Then repeat again with remaining mixture.
- Large Mixing bowl*
- Wire whisk
- Rubber spatula
- Measuring set*
- Parchment paper
- Rimmed sheet pan*
- Air tight containers*
- 6 cups rolled oats*
- 2 cups steel cut oats*
- 1½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut*
- ½ cup brown rice syrup*
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil*
- 1-2 cups pumpkin seeds*
- ½ cup chia seeds*
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
- ½ teaspoon allspice*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar*
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg*
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Start off my mixing together all of your dry ingredients: rolled and steel cut oats, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, unsweetened coconut, ground cinnamon, allspice, brown sugar, and nutmeg.
- Then, make a well in your mixture and add your liquids on top (brown rice syrup and extra-virgin olive oil). Fold inwards to mix the dry and wet together.
- Next, lay out your mixture on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet, making sure the spread out mixture evenly.
- Bake in oven at 325F for 10-15 minutes (depending on toasted preference). Take out and flip over, then place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely before placing in an air tight container. However, you do want to break apart a few minutes after you take it out of the oven, unless you want big chunks sticking together.
I love homemade granola. It is easy to make, and delicious. Anyone else make their own granola at home? What are your favorite combinations? I’d love to hear suggestions!
AMAZON AFFILATE LINK DISCLOSER:
ALEXAS IS A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM. THERE ARE LINKS ON THIS SITE THAT CAN BE DEFINED AS “AFFILIATE LINKS”. THIS MEANS THAT WE MAY RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION (AT NO COST TO YOU) IF YOU SUBSCRIBE OR PURCHASE SOMETHING THROUGH THE LINKS PROVIDED, WHICH ARE SIGNALED WITH *.
THIS AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM HELPS WEBSITE OWNERS LIKE US TO BE ABLE TO SHARE WHAT WE LOVE FREELY, AND EARN ADVERTISING FEES BY ADVERTISING AND LINKING TO AMAZON.COM, AUDIBLE.COM, AND ANY OTHER WEBSITE THAT MAY BE AFFILIATED WITH AMAZON SERVICE LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM.