I love making big batches of soup to eat off of all week. So simple and delicious. I adapted this recipe from one of my friends (thanks Callie!). It is very hearty, packed full of flavor, and will definitely fill you up.
Prep by chopping all of your vegetables and sausage.
Then you are ready to start cooking.
Feel free, as always, to add or substitute any ingredients you want. Be creative and listen to your taste buds!
- Large stock pot*
- Slotted spoon*
- Wood cutting board*
- Chef’s knife (my FAVORITE knife*, worth ever penny)
- Wooden spoon*
- Measuring set*
- Cast iron skillet*
Loaded Cabbage Soup
- 1 ½ pounds (24 ounces) kielbasa sausage*, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil*
- 3 medium leeks, sliced into ⅛ inch rounds (white and pale green parts only)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small green cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes*
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups organic chicken* or vegetable stock*
- 1 pound red potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper (add to taste)
- Heat a skillet on medium heat. Add the sausage, flipping occasionally for 5-6 minutes, until the sausage is lightly browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a separate plate (lined with paper towels), and set aside.
- Heat your stock pot on medium-high, add in olive oil, onions, carrots, leeks and celery. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cabbage and garlic to the stock pot, sauté for 4 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the chicken/vegetable stock, potatoes, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, cooked sausage, and stir to combine.
- Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked and tender.
- Taste and season with a few generous pinches of salt and black pepper as needed. Depending on your taste, feel free to add in a few extra teaspoons of Italian seasoning.
AMAZON AFFILATE LINK DISCLOSER:
ALEXAS IS A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM. THERE ARE LINKS ON THIS SITE THAT CAN BE DEFINED AS “AFFILIATE LINKS”. THIS MEANS THAT WE MAY RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION (AT NO COST TO YOU) IF YOU SUBSCRIBE OR PURCHASE SOMETHING THROUGH THE LINKS PROVIDED, WHICH ARE SIGNALED WITH *.
THIS AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM HELPS WEBSITE OWNERS LIKE US TO BE ABLE TO SHARE WHAT WE LOVE FREELY, AND EARN ADVERTISING FEES BY ADVERTISING AND LINKING TO AMAZON.COM, AUDIBLE.COM, AND ANY OTHER WEBSITE THAT MAY BE AFFILIATED WITH AMAZON SERVICE LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM.